You are here:   Cambria > Townships > Jackson

Hosted by:  Lynne Canterbury

 Jackson Twp. Cemeteries
Brown Cemetery (Brown & Devlin)
First Finnish Ev. Lutheran Church Cemetery
Ogden Cemetery (St. Paul's Lutheran Church Cemetery)
Pike Brethren Cemetery
Rager-Lambaugh Cemetery
SS Peter & Paul Cemetery

 Jackson Communities
Mundys Corner
Rager Mountain

 Other Jackson Links
USGS Map of Jackson

Jackson Township, Cambria County, Pennsylvania, was organized January 3, 1828, and was taken from Cambria and Summerhill Townships It was named for Andrew Jackson who was elected to the presidency that year. There were ninety landowners in the township.

Jackson Township contains no large villages. It has one railroad, seven churches and, since the consolidation of the ten one-room schools a few years ago, two elementary schools, one each at Mundys Corner and Vinco. In 1860 the population was 854 and in 1954 it is slightly under 2,400. At Mundys Corner the height above sea level is 1,897 feet, at Chickaree, 2,369 feet, at Vinco, 1,722 feet and near Vintondale, 1,408 feet.

Many industries have flourished here and disappeared, some beyond the memory of the oldest inhabitant.

The several communities are mainly made up of the descendants of those first settlers who came from Germany, Wales, Holland, Ireland and, in more recent times, Austria and southern Europe.

The names of the villages in the township originated in the usual manner: Brown, named for the earliest settler, John Brown; Clinefelter, formerly Klinefelter, from an early family of that name; Burkharts Crossing, named for Daniel Burkhart, son of first settler Joseph Burkhart; Chickaree, from the native squirrel.

The Jack Rager community was named for Jackson Rager who was a son of Michael Rager, first settler and Revolutionary soldier; Dishong, named for Paul Dishong, first settler; Fords Corners, named for Ben Ford who had a store there and was a grandson of Michael Ford, one of Vinco's first settlers; Singer Hill, named for John Singer, early settler; Vinco, first named Wallopsburg, 1865-67, then Fairview, was given its present name when David Simmons had a post office there at the turn of the century. Because of the many "Fairviews" in the state, a new name was desired so one evening around the cracker barrel "Dr. J. C. Wakefield, local physician, John Allbaugh and others were discussing the matter. Vinco tobacco was then a favorite blend and the latter humorously suggested that name for the village. Dr. Wakefield seconded" the suggestion and the name was adopted. Leidy's Lane is so-called because all of its residents were Leidys, Samuel Leidy was the first settler by that name. Teeter was once a part of the Judge Murray tract, later Nathaniel Teeter cleared ground and settled there and the school and community were named for him.

In 1887 Jackson Township had ten schools with ten teachers, the average term was five months and there were 303 children attending school. In 1953 there were 865 school children. Schools listed prior to that time were Duncan, Dishong, Chickaree, Clinefelter, Wagoner, Jack Rager, Pike, Burkhart, Leidy, Brown and Vinco. A school was located at what is known to this day as "the school house flats at the bend of the road" below Chickaree. In 1872 a school house was built in Leidy's Lane "situated near a small stream that runs through the valley" on the same side of the road as the old Henry Leidy barn. The school, but not the building, was moved to Mundys Corner in 1913, where the Blair Singer family now live. The little Leidy school, where many of our prominent older men and women once taught, is now a granary on the Sabo farm. The Burkhart school originated in a room at the Joseph Burkhart Mill. Later a small school was erected along the now abandoned highway leading to St. Pauls Lutheran Church and finally Burkharts Crossing was its site.

Since its beginning the following churches have been (or are) in existence here: German Baptist, known as the Homer Church, 1843 to 1900, situated between Vinco and Wesley Chapel; Vinco Brethren, 1884; Singer Hill Grace Brethren, 1940; Mundys Corner Brethren, 1871, changed to Grace Brethren in 1940; Mt. Olive, 1872, "member of Evangelical Association of America," later combined with United Brethren and is now E. U. B.; Evangelical, known as Albright Church at Mundys Corner, 1895-1910; St. Pauls Lutheran, Ogden, 1860; First Finnish Lutheran, Nanty Glo, 1902-1953, now combined with St. Pauls Lutheran; St. John Vianney, 1949.

The Galbraith Road, the first public road to the county, crossed what is now Jackson Township. For reasons not discovered, old-time residents referred to it as the "Washington Road." It was opened about the year 1790 and entered Jackson Township through the Joseph Burkhart farm (now owned by Pennsylvania Coal and Coke Company) and continued to the vicinity of Mundys Corner and on to the top of Pergrim Hill and to the top of Laurel Mountain, crossing the present road leading from Route 22 to Vintondale. Residents of the township state that parts of the Galbraith Road are still identifiable.

Based on stories handed down from an earlier generation, droves of turkeys, hogs and cattle were driven over the Galbraith Road. It is reported that there was one instance of 500 hogs herded at one time and another instance of 2,300 turkeys passing over the road. The next important road to cross the township was known as the Huntingdon, Indiana and Cambria Turnpike which was completed about 1820. This road traversed the county by way of Mundys Corner from the east to Pittsburgh and is reported to have had nine toll gates. While the turnpike was under construction, a road was laid out from Johnstown to what is now Mundys Corner, then known as "Belleaus Cabins."

At the present date the intersection of the William Penn Highway, Route 22, and Route 219 at Mundys Corner has made this crossroad an important point in the township.

Page Created: 7 Sep 2003.
Last Updated: 27 Aug 2015
Copyright © 2000-2015, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen, & contributors